When I arrived early for class, Emily had already placed my canvas on a table top easel for me. She suggested I paint the background first before touching the peppers. I used Burnt Sienna with a mixture of purple (created with red and blue) and painted the background. Now, I was beginning to see my peppers pop out a bit.
I continued to work on my peppers adding the medium values. I was mixing variations of yellow/orange for the left pepper, greens for the middle pepper, and reds for the right pepper.
Here’s the results of my evening’s work:
Parts of my peppers still look flat. Still need to work on creating and painting the different values. That will be Friday’s task.
I did as much as I could painting the medium values and had to stop to let it dry. I was one of two students to finish early. Emily suggested we prime our acrylic panels to use for tomorrow night’s class. She prepared a Burnt Sienna wash and I grabbed a brush and lightly brushed the paint over the panel. I think I’ve got the hang of this. I was able to see my rough sketch of the peppers on my panel.
My take away from class: enjoy painting with oils even though it takes a loooong time to dry. Need to get up and stand a few feet away from my painting and look at what I’ve painted. I do see a different perspective and what’s missing in my painting (e.g. depth, contrast, etc).
Canvas used: 8″ x 10″